Who We Are
Open Up Resources is a nonprofit developing the highest quality full-course curricula available to districts, provided for free to promote instructional equity.
We partner with the country’s foremost materials experts to develop superb curriculum and deliver essential implementation support, from professional development to printing. Our mission is to provide students and educators with equal access to rigorous, standards-aligned core programs.
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) reports directly to the CEO of the organization. The CFO is responsible for acting as the strategic financial partner and advisor to the CEO. The CFO leads on all strategic and tactical matters as they relate to budget management, financial planning, strategic plan preparation, cost control, forecasting needs, the securing of new funding, financial reporting to funders, and is the chief financial spokesperson for the organization.
Strategy & Leadership
- CFO is the financial partner and advisor to the CEO, taking a leadership role to continuously establish metrics, analyze and review current and future business activities, and provide decision-making information. On a proactive basis, the CFO discusses and recommends best courses of action to the CEO and the Senior Leadership Team.
- The CFO is responsible for managing a team, including the Managing Director of Finance and Financial Analyst(s).
- Acts as liaison with the organization’s external law firm on preparation of contracts and various other legal matters.
- Questions, coaches, and challenges the assumptions that are the foundation of the financial projections.
- Trains staff and raises awareness and knowledge of financial management matters.
- Provides actual vs. forecast performance reports to functional department heads.
- Creates and provides the financial reporting to the Board of Directors and partners with the CEO to lead the subset Finance Committee.
- Acts as the key contact for grant and contract reporting requirements.
- Provides investment analysis for new products and evaluation of new business models.
Financial Monitoring & Control
- Manages relationship with banks, in addition to philanthropic and other financing institutions to secure funding to meet the organization’s operating cash flow and future product development needs.
- Works closely with Chief of Operations and the Managing Director of Field Teams to manage the pipeline review process and forecast updates for review with the Senior Leadership team.
- Completes ongoing cash flow projections and operating forecasts, reflecting latest revenues, product costs and operating expenses.
- Maintains laser focus on short and long term cash flow activities.
- Manages completion of the organization’s annual audit, sales and state audits, and annual Form 990 submission.
- Oversees services performed by outside accounting services, ensuring reporting is in compliance with accounting standards and other compliance requirements.
- Establish a monthly reporting system to account for revenue booking and invoicing, sales tax and shipping cost charges, tracking of deferred revenue, customer cash receipts and accounts receivable.
- Oversees the cost of products and services sold to include print manufacturing, product partner fees, and royalties, ensuring all partner contracts are properly executed.
Sales & Partnerships
- Supports in development and negotiation of new and renewal partner/vendor contracts and terms.
- Analyzes, reviews, and approves print product purchases to ensure achievement of best possible cost and margin.
- Assesses credit risks for relationships with new and existing customers.
- Manages OUR’s third-party accounting / bookkeeping vendor to ensure the completion of monthly and quarterly state sales tax returns.
- Interfaces with the operations team to ensure customer billing and vendor fulfillment issues are accounted for.
- The ideal candidate will exhibit a commitment and passion for the mission and values of OUR, as well as its strategic vision, while also having the acumen and finesse to handle complex situations and multiple responsibilities, mixing long-term projects with the urgency of immediate demands.
- Must possess integrity, exceptional judgment and communication skills.
- Must exhibit the skills to collaborate with and achieve actionable results through others, the ability to build strong and sustainable relationships, and the capability to interact within all levels of the organization as well as with external constituents.
- Minimum 10 years progressive financial and operational experience.
- MBA in Finance or Accounting, with a preference for a CPA designation.
- Effective developer of solutions to business challenges.
- Self-motivated with excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Proficient skills in MS Office Suite, specifically in: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, as well as Google Drive
- Flexibility in adapting to the growing and changing needs of a startup organization
- Ability to work independently from a home office and travel when required
- Detail-oriented, and a team player
Open Up Resources Values
3. Physical, Mental and Emotional Well-Being
4. Learning and Growth
5. Achieving Our Mission
- We are a virtual organization; employees can work from anywhere in the continental U.S.
- We offer a competitive compensation and generous benefits packages.
- We are a growing organization with passionate, high-talented team members!
Please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the subject line “Chief Financial Officer.”