Open Up Resources is a nonprofit developing the highest quality full-course curricula available to districts, provided for free to promote instructional equity. We partner with the country’s foremost materials experts to develop superb curriculum and deliver essential implementation support, from professional development to printing. Our mission is to provide students and educators with equal access to rigorous, standards-aligned core programs.
We are seeking a Full-Stack Engineer. Our organization is driven by our social justice mission to put high-quality curricula in front of as many students and teachers as possible. If you’re a user-focused full-stack web developer, and you’re looking to join a nonprofit that improves learning experiences for kids and educators, we’d love to hear from you.
- Communicate clearly and empathetically with teammates of varying technical expertise through multiple channels and mediums: source code, diagrams/flowcharts, READMEs, bug database comments, Slack messages, emails, videoconference meetings, and the occasional meet up IRL.
- Design user-centered software solutions using the best tools for the job.
- Write tests and production code for the following platforms in assorted combinations:
- Ruby on Rails
- HTML5, CSS3
- Salesforce.com (via REST API)
- Google Sheets, Docs, Slides
- Bash scripts
- Work with the Product Owner to vet business requirements, ensuring that they are clear enough for the development team to start confidently iterating.
- Contribute to continuous improvement in the team’s software delivery process via modern agile best practices (e.g. TDD/BDD, design sprints, pair programming, continuous integration).
- Independently identify opportunities to improve system scalability and stability; targeting the sweet spot between perfection, extensibility, and on-time delivery.
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related subject, or a minimum 7 years of experience in software development.
- Minimum 4 years of experience as a full-stack developer.
- Experience developing and integrating with web services (RESTful and otherwise).
- Ability to foster a positive team environment
- Preferred location: Portland, OR
- Passionate, high-talent team distributed across the U.S.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Full-stack dev.”