Open Up Resources is a nonprofit developing the highest quality full-course curricula available to districts, provided for free to promote instructional equity.
We partner with the country’s foremost materials experts to develop superb curriculum and deliver essential implementation support, from professional development to printing. Our mission is to provide students and educators with equal access to rigorous, standards-aligned core programs.
We are seeking a Director of Quality and Alignment for English Language Arts.
Our organization is driven by our social justice mission to put high-quality curricula in front of as many students and teachers as possible. If you’re looking to join a nonprofit that improves learning experiences for kids and educators, we’d love to hear from you.
- Serve as the ELA subject matter expert / point of contact across departments.
- Lead a team of teacher-reviewers to evaluate and provide feedback on instructional materials created by partner organizations.
- Each unit will be reviewed by a team of reviewers using Achieve’s EQuIP rubric and each course will be reviewed using the IMET.
- Serve as the first point of contact for reviewers with questions about the Common Core State Standards (CCSS), the review tools and rubrics, and the instructional materials.
- Work with reviewers to ensure understanding of the standards, the rubrics, and the instructional materials. Act as facilitator in cases where reviewers disagree.
- Communicate the review results to the content developers to facilitate improvements to the materials.
- Communicate to authors and the sales and development teams the status of the content and reviews on a regular basis.
- Manage district-level pilots of the ELA materials.
- Work to recruit districts for year-long pilots of the ELA materials.
- Collect and analyze feedback from pilot classrooms through surveys and site visits, and communicate results to the content developers and product development team to facilitate improvements to the materials.
- Coordinate with administrators from pilot districts to ensure successful implementation.
- Work closely with the ELA field specialists team to assist school districts interested in adopting the materials with insights from development of the materials.
- Work closely with the product development team to assist in the product development of ELA material content.
- Prepare curriculum overview documentation, and assist in translating ELA curricula content into product development assets (classroom use cases, print requirements, etc.).
- Assist in the development of ELA materials within the product development life cycle and act as an advocate for end classroom users.
A successful candidate should have the following qualifications and personal characteristics:
- A minimum of 5 years of classroom experience teaching or coaching at the K-5 level and/or 6-12 level. Experience working in district administration a strong plus.
- Expertise in the teaching and learning of Common Core State Standards, including the Reading: Foundational Skills standards.
- Research-based understanding of early literacy.
- Demonstrated experience using the EQuIP rubric and IMET.
- Experience consolidating feedback from multiple sources and communicating that feedback effectively.
- Experience with evaluating instructional materials.
- Experience training and leading groups of educators.
- Experience working with diverse stakeholders to arrive at consensus on issues and topics related to ELA/Literacy and/or education writ large.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams to deliver projects on time and on target; experience working closely with third-party partner organizations preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong technology skills.
- Must be able to lead meetings using web conferencing tools.
- Must be able to compile review information using Google Drive and/or Microsoft Office.
- Remote organization; your manager is located in Los Angeles, CA
- Competitive compensation package, including generous benefits package
- Passionate, high-talent team
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Director of Quality and Alignment, ELA”.